There is no central U.S. government agency that tracks termite damage and data. Therefore, damage estimates are often based on infestations reported by state agricultural agencies and academic experts.
Pest control companies are encouraged to report Formosan termite infestations. However, data about subterranean or drywood species are usually not reported.
- Each year, termites infest approximately 600,000.
- The annual cost of termite control and damage repair in the United States is $5 billion.
- The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) estimates that Americans spend $1 billion annually on Formosan termite repairs and control. Experts estimate that the figure could be closer to $2 billion.
It can be difficult to identify the extent of a termite infestation once it is established. It takes colonies five years to reach a point where they can cause serious damage. The following statistics are recent on termite damage at the national and per homeowner levels:
- Termites and other pests inflict an estimated $30 billion each year on crops and man-made structures in America.
- A homeowner who finds termite damage in his home will need to spend on average $3,000 to fix it.
The damage caused by termites
The amount of wood that a colony can remove depends on its type, size, condition, and availability of other food sources.
Formosan termite colonies are more destructive than any other subterranean, dampwood, or drywood colonies. Experts believe that a Formosan termite infestation can cause significant damage to a home within six months if it is located in an area with ideal conditions. A home that is left untreated and unprotected against Formosan termites can sustain significant damage.
How much does it cost to repair termite damage?
Termite damage repair costs will vary depending on the extent, location, and accessibility of the infestation as well as the layout of the home. Some infestations are so minor that homeowners do not need to fix the damage, while other cases can result in termite damage that could cost thousands of dollars. Rarely, termite damage can cause homes to be demolished.
So getting rid of termites quickly is essential, especially if you live in areas with heavy Formosan termite populations. The best way to ensure that your home is protected against extensive damage is to have regular termite inspections. If you would like to know more about termite infestations and termite control, or if you would like to set up an appointment with a pest control company, contact us today.