Pests are as annoying as it gets in and of themselves, but pest control myths are even worse. From exaggerations about the pests, to ineffective techniques for getting rid of them, we’ve compiled some of the most common myths out there in order to dispel them and help you better deal with an infestation.
- Mice are attracted to cheese
We’ve all seen the cartoons – mice love cheese! In fact, this has been a common misconception for a very long time. It’s why you see cheese used in mouse traps. However, tests have shown that mice actually prefer sweet foods that are filled with carbohydrates, so if you want to have traps that are much more enticing, you should use something sugary as a lure instead of cheese.
- Pets are natural pest deterrents
While cats and dogs may kill off pests here and there, the truth is that they are rather unmotivated to seek pests out and exterminate them, since they are already well nourished. They will of course kill any stragglers if they notice them, but they will not actively hunt them. In fact, pets may actually attract more pests then they deter, by bringing fleas, bugs and parasites into the home. Their feces will also attract flies.
- Fire ants can be killed with club soda
Fire ant nests are never a joyous sight, and we can’t get rid of them quickly enough. However, there is a common misconception that you can use club soda to flood a fire ant nest and suffocate the colony with the carbon dioxide found within the beverage. This is not true. Neither are the rumors that you can use plaster of paris, vinegar, or instant grits to exterminate a colony. Insecticide or poisoned bait are still the most effective solutions to getting rid of fire ants.
- Daddy longlegs can be poisonous
Daddy longlegs are some of the creepiest pests around, but for all their faults, they are not poisonous. For many years, the myth was that these spiders are poisonous but do not have long enough fangs to bite humans. In fact, of the two species of spiders known as daddy longlegs, one does not have either fangs or venom glands, and the other is completely harmless.
- Once poisoned, rodents are gone for good
It’s easy to draw a comparison between using insecticides and rodenticides – once you’ve used an insecticide and killed off the insects, you no longer have to worry about them. However, when it comes to rodents, you have the issue of the carcass. After a rodent has been poisoned, it might take several days for it to die, and it might die inside your home in a hard to reach area, where it will start to rot and draw in more pests and disease.
Do you have a pest problem in your home?
These are just a few of the pest myths currently in circulation. If you have tried to tackle a pest infestation on your own and have not noticed any progress or positive results, contact us today, and we will send over one of our team members to help you out.