Some spider species are completely harmless, and you might not want to use strong chemical repellents to get rid of them, but you still don’t want to have them around the home. Luckily there are natural options that you can use to keep spiders out of your home. Here are some of them:
- Peppermint – Peppermint and peppermint essential oil are both effective at repelling spiders, and they also have the added benefit of smelling really good. The oil is stronger, but it can be dangerous for dogs and cats, so you can use peppermint leaves instead. You can either plant mint in the garden around the home, or use leaves indoors near windows and in areas where you’ve noticed the presence of spiders.
- Eucalyptus, rose, lavender, tea tree, and cinnamon essential oils – Peppermint oils are not the only effective essential oils. You can use any of the oils listed here by dropping about 20 drops in a spray bottle filled with water, and then spritz the mixture wherever you see spiders.
- Cedar: Cedar balls, blocks and chips all work well at repelling spiders.
- Garlic: If you have some garlic lying around and you want to get rid of spiders, you can crush a few cloves and put them in a spray bottle that is filled with water. Let the mixture rest overnight and then spray it in the corners of the home and along baseboards.
- Vinegar: To use vinegar as a spider repellent, you can create a mixture that is 50/50 vinegar and water, and then spray it in areas that you commonly see spiders.
These mixtures are very effective at pushing spiders out of an area, and keeping them out, but it’s unlikely that they will kill the spiders. So if you are dealing with black widows or brown recluses, spraying them with repellents will not really solve your problem. In this situation, you don’t really want to risk it, because these two spiders have dangerous bites, and they will attack if they feel threatened.
If you have a spider infestation, and you want to completely remove it, you will need the help of a pro. This is where we can help you. Contact us today if you have any questions about spider control, or if you would like to set up an appointment and remove an infestation from your home.